Friday, February 25, 2011

9/11

I remember 9/11 very vividly. I was in Pre-K at the time and my memory of it was when the principal of TCS, my school at the time, shut school down for the day because she didn’t know if they were going to hit Atlanta. I went home and my mom watched the news the whole rest of the day, she thought Atlanta was a possibility since we have a lot of important buildings such as the CDC. Also, that same morning my aunt, who lives in New York, had a doctor’s appointment in the city for my two twin cousins. Her appointment was at 9 o’clock in the morning, which was approximately when the plane hit. Luckily, she was running late, because my grandma was able to hear it on the news, call my aunt, and my aunt went back home. I still think about how lucky I was that my aunt was able to turn around, every time I hear the national anthem. If she was on time and didn’t get stuck in traffic, something might have happened to her. There are a lot of images of tragedy in my head right now, and most of these images come from the media, and from hearing about it from my family.
The causes for 9/11 were that it was The World Trade Center, which is the building that is the head of our economy. Also another cause for this was, because the terrorists were looking for an important building in the U.S with a lot of people in it. That is why they tried the Pentagon, and the White House too. The effects of 9/11 are almost as tragic as the event. There is now a ton of security everywhere, no one is trusted to do anything, and especially Middle Eastern people can’t go anywhere without people looking at them funny, and thinking they are terrorists. It has also had a big affect on me, I am now afraid to fly on a plane, especially one going to New York. This is a big problem since my family lives in New York and we go there often. Although, I am afraid to fly it has also had an affect on me since I am also one of the people who judges Middle Eastern people. I know I shouldn’t and I am trying not to, but it is scary to me since 9/11 was so personal to my family and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment